What are two factors that we all share in our job as a mobile notary?
Travel and meeting New People
While these two things are par for the course for all notaries, our goal in this post is to provide a few tips and tricks to help you stay safe on the road and encountering new people in their home.
There is always a risk in going to a new location, but in following these few steps we are hoping to provide you with the tools and knowledge needed to keep you safe during your signings.
- If you are able, always let someone know where your assignment is taking place and the general time it will take you to return
- Make sure your phone is charged so you have the ability to contact someone in an emergency
- We know this line of work can mean back-to-back signings with minimal opportunities to go home, so bring a mobile phone charger with you just in case
- Share minimal details of your schedule with anyone you do not fully trust or know
- All though a great concern for safety, we know it is frowned upon to keep your phone in Ring mode vs Silent or Vibration mode. We suggest one of the latter, only so you can make a quick emergency call if needed.
- Make sure your car has routine maintenance to reduce possible breaks downs
- Invest in a reliable GPS system or app for your smartphone so you are limiting the risk of getting lost
- Make sure you are calling the signer to confirm- introduce yourself by full name, include a description of your car. This ensures the signer knows who and what to expect upon your arrival to location and decrease any potentially hostile encounters since you’re a stranger coming to their home
- There is always the potential for a client to get upset. Handling the situation calmly and offering them the option to reach out to their title contact, or us, can go a long way in diffusing the tension and regaining control of the signing. Keep the contact on the phone till the signer is calm and a resolution or decision has been reached.
- Your safety is priority number one, never keep yourself in a potentially dangerous or uncomfortable situation for a signing
Setting the Stage
While these few points do not cover all the potential situations you may encounter on the job, they lay a foundation for risk prevention and increase your awareness of possible situations to prepare for.
Sunshine has always put the safety and well being of our notaries first and we encourage all notaries to contact us with any potential safety issues or concerns so we can be another added safety measure.